What does the MailChimp plugin do?
When you enable the MailChimp plugin, PageRoost gains the following features:
- A new form field type called "MailChimp Subscribe"
- The ability to set the Merge Tag for each of your form fields so that data entered into them on any PageRoost form, will be synced to MailChimp automatically.
- A tool that allows you to sync all of your PageRoost leads to MailChimp.
Enable the plugin
You can enable the MailChimp plugin in just a few seconds. It's as easy as 1-2-3... Literally!
- In the "Settings" menu, click on the "Site" option.
- Go to the "Plugins" section and check the option for the MailChimp plugin.
- Click the "Save Settings" button.
Setup the plugin
The first thing you'll need to do when you enable the MailChimp plugin is to set your API key which will allow PageRoost to talk to your MailChimp account. If you go to the "Plugins" menu at the top of the page and click on "MailChimp" you will see a page that looks like this:
Just click on the "MailChimp API key here" link and copy the key from that page into the "API Key" field back on PageRoost. Click the "Update API Key" button and you should be all set! Your screen should now look something like...
New form field type
The MailChimp plugin provides a new form field called "MailChimp Subscribe" that lets you subscribe people to your MailChimp lists. You can create a MailChimp subscription field by creating a form field and choosing "MailChimp Subscribe" for the "Type" option. When you create a MailChimp form field, you will see a couple options that allow you to subscribe people to your MailChimp lists.
- Display As
- This field has two options that control what a user needs to do - other than submit the form - in order to get onto one or more MailChimp Lists.
Checkbox - Displays a checkbox with whatever you've entered into the "Name" field for the form field.
None (Automatic Subscription) - A form field does not display at all. Users are automatically subscribed to the selected lists simply by submitting the form.
- The list, or lists (you can select multiple lists) a user will be subscribed to when submitting a form with this field.
There's also a button to the right of the "Lists" field that will let you create new MailChimp lists from PageRoost.
Once you've got the form field created, just add it to your forms like any other field!
Setting Merge Tags on fields
Setting the merge tag name lets PageRoost sync data provided by your visitors into your list members on MailChimp. It's a very simple operation and is a very useful feature of the plugin. In the "Plugins" section of the add/edit form field type and add/edit form field dialog, there is a group called "MailChimp" with a field that lets you set the merge tag name for the PageRoost field.
All you need to do to set the merge tag name is enter a value into the field and click the "OK" button. Do not enter
|* here like you do in MailChimp templates.
Automatic Merge Tag Names
Whenever you enable the MailChimp plugin, it will automatically set the merge tag names on core contact fields like so:
- First Name - FNAME
- Last Name - LNAME
- Primary E-mail Address - EMAIL
Sync PageRoost Leads to MailChimp
From the MailChimp settings page, you can sync your leads from PageRoost into MailChimp.
You can sync your leads in one of two ways.
- Sync All To List
- This option allows you to sync all of your leads to a single list on MailChimp. Select the list you want your leads to go into, click the "Sync Leads Now" button, and wait!
- Sync To Multiple Lists
- If you want to sync your leads by form, choose this option. For each form on your site, you can decide which list the leads will go to.
I clicked the button, now what?
After you sync your leads, a progress indicator will appear on the main MailChimp Settings page.